May 30, 2020

Going Vegan: A Plant-Powered Life

Healthy vegan food served in dish

2020 is an exciting time to be vegan!

If you've been considering becoming plant-based, you're not alone. According to the Vegan Society, the number of vegans here in Britain has quadrupled in the last five years, and by 2025 they expect vegans and vegetarians to make up a quarter of the population (not to mention all the flexitarians). 

In the last few years, there has been a revolution in the variety of products and vegan options on the menu. As a millennial with many herbivores in my life and as a veggie eater myself, I noticed vegan options appearing in shops and eateries across the country; no longer hidden away in dedicated meat-free restaurants and retailers.

As someone with a hectic working life and who has never been much of a cook, I found my options for food on the go and eating out were enriched with both healthy choices and quick comfort food - Beyond burgers, avo smash and Greggs sausage rolls were all the rage. Recent trends include pink beetroot buns and ingenious seitan versions of popular meaty dishes such as Buffalo wings and popcorn 'chicken'.

Going against the grain

Living compassionately and with a smaller carbon footprint is now easier than ever, and it makes sense if you care about our plant or animal welfare. As a slightly picky eater, I had fears about going fully vegan. Was I enough of a cook and foodie? Would I find things to eat when out and about? Would I get all the vitamins and fuel my body needed? How would I cope when challenged on my choice?

The main nutrient you might be missing is B12, and possibly iron or calcium, but there are loads of vegan-friendly options for these - both dietary and in supplements. You will have to spend a little time checking labels for sneaky meat and dairy ingredients in food, but once you find your favourites and accidentally vegan items it becomes second nature.

It can be frustrating to deal with ignorant questions and haters but remember you are making a bold choice that is better for the planet and your health, and you can use knowledge or humour to deflect the critics. There are loads of like-minded people out there who can support and advise you; when I was transitioning I went to local vegan markets to meet people and discover products from small businesses.

Give your life a green makeover

I take the view that absolutism is not a helpful approach to changing your lifestyle. You can make changes slowly, one aspect at a time, and if you have to make compromises or fall off the wagon occasionally it doesn't negate all the times you made a green and cruelty-free choice. 

My own journey was that as a veggie I gradually phased out most animal products over recent years, preferring plant milk anyway, and last summer I decided to go all in. Thankfully there are delicious substitutes for all your old cravings like bacon, cheese and chocolate!
Environmental protest in Liverpool, XR and environmentalists

First stop essentials: the Happy Cow food finder, TheVeganKind supermarket, Veganuary tips, the Vegan Filter, and get yourself a Holland and Barrett loyalty card. Now get out there and enjoy the plant-based world. 💚


No comments:

Post a Comment